NameJohannes KLOCK
Birth30 Oct 1711, Stone Arabia Church, Stone Arabia, NY
Death17 Oct 1804, Clockville, Montgomery County, NY
Burial1804, Old Klock Cemetery, St. Johnsville, NY
FatherHendrick KLOCK (~1663-)
Spouses
Birth3 Jan 1712
Marriageabt 1736
ChildrenDorothy (1738-)
 Anna Elizabeth (~1742-)
 Catherine (~1743-)
 Barbara (1750-)
 Magdalena (1752-)
 Jacob Johannes (1737-)
 John J. (1741-)
Notes for Johannes KLOCK
Built a stone farmhouse in 1750 now known as Fort Klock, located one
mile east of St. Johnsville, and open to the public as a museum.

KLOCK AND NELLIS FAMILIES, Part of the "The Old Palatine Church" 1930 by Milo Nellis
(In handwriting by Mr. Nellis "The house of col. Jacob a mile west of the stone house of Johannes was designated as Fort Klock by Sir John Johnson in his report of the Battle of Klock's Field--see Johnson's orderly book".)

Authorities differ on Johannes Klock, Some maintain that the pioneer Henry had a brother Johannes who settled somewhere here and started the Johannes line. Others hold that the original Johannes was a son of Henry. Certain it is that Henry had a son Johannes as proven by his will of 1743 wherein he is mentioned. At that time Henry had located his family according to his wishes, Jacob on the home property (now Sheldon Klock's), Johannes on the farm east, and who built Fort Klock in 1750, George (Johangurgh) on a farm west of the village (now Hillabrandt), Conrad went to Fairfield. Jacob (afterwards Col. Jacob) remained on the homestead (now Sheldon Klock's) near the family burial plot and church site. Johannes built the stone fort known as Fort Klock. George erected his dwelling on his place west of the present West St. Johnsville. Fort Klock built by Johannes was of stone and was a haven of refuge for the settlement during the unsettled times of the French and Indian war. During the revolution it was also a refuge as was the home of Col. Jacob Klock which was palisaded also. In fact this latter structure was referred to as Fort Klock by witnesses in the court martial of Gen. Rensselaer and Simms says "there were two Fort Klock." George also fortified his house which in honor of the builder, Capt. Christian House and perhaps to distinguish it from the other two Fort Klocks called the defense Fort House. At the present site of St. Johnsville was the palisaded Zimmerman residence known as Fort Zimmerman. This is the picture during the Revolution.
Last Modified 13 Feb 2012Created 26 Oct 2015 using Reunion for Macintosh