American Campus and Alcohol Regional Conference
A Regional American Campus and Alcohol Conference was recently held in St. Louis, Missouri. Organized by the Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Control and funded by the Distilled Spirits Council of the United sates (DISCUS), the conference provided resources to assist colleges in creating comprehensive alcohol abuse prevention programs which they then design to meet the needs of their specific campuses. Creating strong partnerships between colleges, state regulators and surrounding communities can facilitate addressing alcohol problems.
The goal of the conference was to provide Missouri college campuses and communities with tools to curb student alcohol abuse. The emphasis was on providing information on a variety of demonstrably effective alcohol abuse prevention strategies. Speakers came from such institutions as Stetson University College of Law (Florida), The Evergreen State College (Washington), Montana State University, Hobart and William Smith Colleges (New York), Southeast Missouri State University, and the State University of New York.
Participating schools were
- Fontbonne University
- Harris-Stowe State College
- Lincoln University
- Lindenwood University
- Linn State Technical College
- Maryville University
- Southern Illinois University
- St. Charles Community College
- St. Louis Community College at Maramac
- St. Louis University
- University of Missouri - Columbia
- University of Missouri - Kansas City
- Washington University
- Weber University
- Westminster College
- William Woods College
Participating organizations included
- Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD)
- Recording Artists, Actors & Athletes Against Drunk Driving (RADD)
- National Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
- Missouri Division of Alcohol and Tobacco Control
- Anheuser Busch
- Missouri Partners in Prevention
- Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division
- Columbia Police Department
- Healthy Communities Coalition1
- The Century Council
- The Higher Education Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Prevention
- Albany (New York) Police Department
Earlier regional campus and alcohol conferences have been organized by Louisiana State University, Trinity University, University of Central Florida, Eastern Connecticut University, and Syracuse University. All were funded by the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States and all have led to the development of comprehensive programs to reduce alcohol abuse.
filed under: College
Need help with an alcohol or drug problem?
Someone at the highly effective St. Jude program can help you.