Beer is Better than Milk
by David J. Hanson, Ph. D.
PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) is very provocative in its media campaign about milk, but it is correct in its mesage. Beer is indeed better than milk for health, as are both wine and distilled spirits.
Not only do beer wine and spirits all have fewer calories and less sodium than milk, but none has any fat or cholesterol, with which milk is loaded. And while milk is associated with weight gain, alcohol beverages are not [see Alcohol, Calories and Weight Gain].
(one cup regular milk)
(can or bottle)
|80 proof distilled spirits
(1.5 oz shot or jigger)
|Source: US department of Agriculture (USDA) nutritional tables and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA). 1|
But there is one important difference. You can drink all the milk you want before driving. Not so with alcohol.
It's easy to have a good time at a party or other gathering while still avoiding intoxication. Here are some tips:
- Don't be fooled. Remember that the typical bottle of beer, glass of wine or spirits drink (shot or mixed drink) each contains the same samount of alcohol. When it comes to alcohol content, a drink is a drink is a drink...they're all the same to a Breathalyzer. 2
- Sip your drinks slowly. Enjoy them instead of gulping them.
- Drink a non-alcohol beverage for every alcohol one you consume.
- Avoid drinking games. Drinking games encourage the excessive consumption of alcohol in short periods of time. Participation in them is associated with intoxication and numerous problems. 3
- Limit alcohol drinks to no more than one per hour.
- Accept a drink only when you really want one. If someone tries to force a drink on you, ask for a non-alcohol beverage instead. If that fails, "lose" your drink by setting it down somewhere and leaving it.
- To avoid drinking, or to limit your drinking at a gathering, you can choose any of a number of beverages that look like alcohol drinks. they include tomato juice, lemonade, iced water, wwater and ice cubes, club soda with orange juice, tonic water with a twist of lemon or lime, and eithe orange juice or 7-Up with grenadine. And they taste good.
- Beware of unfamiliar drinks. Some drinks, such as zombies and other fruit drinks, can be deceiving as their aclhol content is not detectable. Therefore, it is dificult to space consumption of them properly.
- Use alcohol carefully in connection with pharmaceuticals. Ask your physician or pharmacist about any precautions or prohibitions and follow the advice given.
- Never drive if you're not completely sober. And don't let anyone else.
The information on this page is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute medical, health, or diet advice, and none should be inferred. For all matters concerning health and related matters, always consult your physician or other qualified health provider.
filed under: Health
Need help with an alcohol or drug problem?
Someone at the highly effective St. Jude program can help you.