National Prohibition of Alcohol & Repeal: Facts, Information & Resources
National Prohibition of alcoholic beverages (beer, wine and distilled spirits) existed in the U.S. between 1920 and 1933. How National Prohibition came into existence, what it was like, how it changed American society and how it effects life in the country even today is a story of unusual ideas, fascinating characters, surprising events, and unexpected outcomes.
The history of alcohol is filled with interesting people, with interesting stories.
From strongholds of temperance sentiment to widespread disregard for the law, the states responded to National Prohibition and repeal in different ways.
Do you know the difference between a "blind pig" and a "clip joint?" And just who is John Barleycorn anyway? Find out
Alcohol and Prohibition Quizzes
Bar Exam - Take this fun quiz.
George Washington Quiz - What's George Washington have to do with alcohol?
Prohibition-related DVDs, Photos & Files
Carry Nation, a photograph from 1910
Detroit police inspecting equipment found in a clandestine underground brewery during the prohibition era.
Medicinal Alcohol form, an official government document from the 1920's
"Save A Little Dram For Me," a song from United States prohibition era, 1922
Prohibition and Repeal DVD video: Shay, Gene et al. Amendment 18, Prohibition; Amendment 21, Repeal of Prohibition. DVD video. Lawrenceville, NJ: Cambridge Educational, 2004.
Repeal DVD video:A&E Television Network. The Road to Repeal. DVD video. NY: A&E Television Network, 1997.
- Asbury, Herbert. The Great Illusion: An Informal History of Prohibition. New York: Doubleday & Co., 1950.
- Furnas, J. C. The Life and Times of the Late Demon Rum. G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1965.
- Kobler, John E. Ardent Spirits: The Rise and Fall of Prohibition. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons, 1973, 143.
- Kyvig, David E. Repealing National Prohibition. Kent, OH: Kent State University Press, 2000.
- Rose, Kenneth D. American Women and the Repeal of Prohibition. NY: New York University Press, 1996.
- Root, Grace C. Women and Repeal: The Story of the Women's Organization for National Prohibition Reform. NY: Harper & Brothers, 1934.
- Sinclair, Andrew. Prohibition: The Era of Excess. Boston: Little, Brown & Co., 1962.
filed under: Prohibition
Need help with an alcohol or drug problem?
Someone at the highly effective St. Jude program can help you.