Effects of Screening and Brief Intervention on DWI Traffic Citations
To examine the effects of screening and brief interventions on at-risk alcohol drinkers, this study used retrospective data on 426 such drinkers in New Mexico. Of these, 211 received brief intervention while 215 did not. The DWI citations for all subjects were then identified for the five year period following the brief interventions.
The results demonstrated that screening to identify at-risk drinkers followed by brief intervention had a statistically significant impact that lasted for at least five years. The brief interventions were most effective in reducing DWI citations among Hispanic at-risk drinkers.
- David, H., et al. The effectiveness of screening and brief intervention on reducing DWI citations. Clin. Med. Research, 2011, 9(3-4), 175.
Readings on Screening and Brief Interventions
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Put the Brakes on the Next Drunk Driver: Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention in the Emergency Department. Washington, DC: American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP) and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), 2004.
- Babor, T.F. and Higgins-Biddle, J.C. Screening and Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems in Primary Care. Geneva: World Health Organization (WHO) Department of Mental Health and Substance Dependence, 2001.
- Center for Substance Abuse Treatment (U.S.); American College of Surgeons. Committee on Trauma. Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention (SBI) for Trauma Patients. Bethesda, MD : U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Center for Substance Abuse Treatment, 2007.
- Eastern Perth Public & Community Health Unit and W.A. State Brief Intervention Project. Policy and Procedural Guidelines for Early Identification and Brief Intervention of Alcohol and other Drug Problems. Perth, W.A.: Eastern Perth Public and Community Health Unit, 2000.
- Estee, S.L., et al. Substance Use Outcome: Washington State Scrreening, Brief Intervention, Referral and Treatment. Olympia, WA: Washington State Department of Social and Health Services, Research and Data Analysis Division, 2006.
- McRee, B. et al. Instructor's Manual for Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention. Storrs, CT: University of Connecticut School of Nursing, 1999.
- Mercy Health Center (Oklahoma City, OK) and Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services. Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment. Oklahoma City, OK: Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services, 2009.
- National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (U.S.). Brief Intervention for Alcohol Problems. Rockville, MD: National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), 1999.
- NSW Health (NZ). Drinkcheck: A Manual for Alcohol Brief Intervention. North Sydney, N.S.W.: NSW Health Department, 2000.
- Saitz, R. and Galanter, M. Alcohol/ Drug Screening and Brief Intervention. Binghamton, NY: Haworth Medical Press, 2007.
- Winters, K.C. Teen Intervene: Using Brief Intervention with Substance Abusing Adolescents. Center City, MN: Hazelden, 2003.
filed under: Driving