Bourbon Country Trail
Kentucky's Bourbon Country Trail is an interesting and educational drive along which visitors can visit six Bourbon distilleries within close proximity to each other scattered among the rolling hills west of Lexington, Kentucky.
Bourbon has been a part of American history and culture for over 200 years and Congress has declared Bourbon to be the official distilled spirit of the United States.
The Cable News Network (CNN) described the Bourbon Country Trail as a "Top 10 Classic American Experience" and aired a feature about the Trail.
In addition to the Bourbon Country Trail itself, visitors can enjoy the Oscar Getz Museum of Whiskey History, the Overland Relay of the Bourbon Country Trail, and the Kentucky Bourbon Festival that is held for six days every September.
- Kentucky Bourbon Country Bourbon Trail website (kybourbontrail.com/index.php).
Bourbon Readings and Resources
- Carson, G. The Social History of Bourbon. Lexington, KY: Univeristuy Press of Kentucky, 2010.
- Cecil, S.K. The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky. Paducah, KY: Turner Pub. Co., 1999.
- Cowdery, C.K. Made & Bottled in Kentucky: The Story of Bourbon Whiskey. DVD video, Chicago: C.K. Chowdery, 2003.
- Crowgey, H.G. Kentucky Bourbon: The Early Years of Whiskeymaking. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 1971.
- Getz, Oscar and Bilow, I. Whiskey: An American Pictorial History. New York: McKay, 1978.
- Kroll, H.H. Bluegrass, Belles, and Bourbon: A Pictorial History of Whisky in Kentucky. South Brunswick, NJ: A.S. Barnes, 1967.
- Lindsay, K.G. Whiskey Makers for Thristy Frontiersmen: The Offspring of Darby Shawhan - Originators of Bourbon Whiskey. Evansville, IN: Kenma Pub., 1994.
- Lubbers, B. Bourbon Whiskey: Our Native Spirit. Indianapolis, IN: Blue River Press, 2011.
- Murray, J. Classic Bourbon, Tennessee & Rye Whiskey. London: Prion Books.1998.
- Percy, W. Bourbon. Winston-Salem, NC: Palaemon Press, 1979.
- Regan, G. and Regan, M.H. The Book of Bourbon and other fine American Whiskeys. Shelburne, VT: Chapters Pub., 1995.
- Schmid, A.W.A. The Kentucky Bourbon Cookbook. Lexington, KY: University Press of Kentucky, 2010.
filed under: Fun Facts