Alcohol and H. pylori infection
Researchers continue to find evidence that moderate alcohol consumption fights Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) infection.
These results strengthen the evidence that moderate alcohol consumption helps the body fight H. pylori infection.
H. pylori infection is a common cause of stomach and intestinal upset and appears to be a factor in the development of stomach cancer. However, most people with H. pylori (about half the adult population) do not get stomach cancer.
Note: This website provides no recommendations for drinking alcohol and pre-diabetes or diabetes risk or for any other health or medical matter and none should be inferred.
- Gao, L., et al. Alcohol Consumption, Serum GammaGlutamyltransferase, and Helicobacter Pylori Infection in a Population-Based Study Among 9733 Older Adults. Annals of Epidemiology, 2010, 20(2), 122-128.
Readings on Alcohol and H. pylori:
- Brenner, H., et al. Relation of smoking and alcohol and coffee consumption to active Helicobacter pylori infection: cross sectional study. British Medical Journal, 1997, 315, 1489-1492.
- Brenner, H., et al. Alcohol as a gastric disinfectant? The complex relationship between alcohol consumption and current Helicobacter pylori infection. Epidemiology, 2001, 12(2), 209-214.
- Gao, L., et al. Alcohol consumption and chronic atrophic gastritis: Population-based study among 9,444 older adults from Germany. Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, 2001, 15(3), 271-276.
- Kuepper-Nybelen, J., et al. Relationship between lifetime alcohol consumption and Helicobacter pylori infection, Annals of Epidemiology, 2005, 15(8), 607-613.
- Murray, L.J.. et al. Inverse relationship between alcohol consumption and active Helicobacter pylori infection: the Bristol Helicobacter project. The American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2002, 97, 2750-2755.
- Ogihara, A., et al. Relationship between Helicobacter pylori infection and smoking and drinking habits. Journal of Gasteroenterology and Hepatology, 2000, 15(3), 271-276.
- Paunio, M., et al. Association of alcohol consumption and Helicobacter pylori infection in young adulthood and early middle age among patients with gastric complaints: A case-control study on Finnish conscripts, officers and other military personnel. European Journal of Epidemiology, 1994, 10(2), 1573-7284.
- Zhang, L., et al. Relationship between alcohol consumption and active Helicobacter pylori infection. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 2010, 45(1), 89-94.
filed under: Health