Vodka Saves Man's Life

A man's life was saved when a hospital in Australia drip-fed him the equivalent of three standard drinks of vodka per hour for three days after he had consumed ethylene glycol, a common ingredient of antifreeze that can cause kidney failure.

Pure alcohol is typically given patients because it inhibits the toxic effects of ethylene glycol. Doctors at Mackay Base Hospital in Queensland state said the patient was given pharmaceutical-grade alcohol until the hospital's supply ran out. They then switched to vodka and the patient recovered.

Hospital administrators were very understanding of the physicians' purchase of the case of vodka.

 

References:

  • Vodka drip saves poisoned Italian. Washington Post, October 10, 2007.
  • Vodka drip saves man from poisoning death. Edmonton Journal, October 11, 2007.
  • Shots save life of antifreeze victim. The Star (South Africa), October 11, 2007.
  • Case of vodka used to treat poisoned tourist. The Guardian, October 10, 2007.

filed under: Alcohol and Health

This site does not dispense medical, legal, or any other advice and none should be inferred.
For more fine print, read the disclaimer.