Suicide Rates and Alcohol Consumption
To determine if suicide rates in the U.S. are associated with changes in the per capita consumption of alcohol, data for a period of over 50 years (1950-2002) were analyzed.
Analyses included both total and beverage-specific data.
There was no correlation between suicide rates and alcohol consumption rates, either overall or for specific beverages (beer, liquor or distilled spirits, and wine).
- Landberg. Per capita alcohol consumption and suicide rates in the U.S., 1950-2002. Suicide and Life Threatening Behaviors, 2009, 39(4), 453-459.
- Alcohol and Suicide Among Racial/Ethnic Populations—17 States, 2005-2006. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 2009, 302(7), 733-734.
- Gossop M. Alcohol in suicide attempts and completions. Psychiatric Annals, 2005, 35, 513–21.
- Hufford, M.R. Alcohol and suicidal behavior. Clinical Psychological Review, 2001, 21, 797–811.
- Kendall, R. E. Alcohol and suicide. Substance and Alcohol Misuse, 1993, 4(2-3),121-7.
- Lester D. Alcohol availability, alcoholism, and suicide and homicide. American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 1995, 21,147–50.
- Lester D. Alcoholism, substance abuse, and suicide. In: Maris, R.W., et al. Comprehensive Textbook of Suicidology. N. Y., Guilford Press, 2000, pp. 357–75.
- May, P.A., et al. Alcohol and suicide death among American Indians of New Mexico: 1980–1998. Suicide and Life Threatening Behavior, 2002, 32, 240–55.
- Nemtsov, A. Suicides and alcohol consumption in Russia, 1965-1999. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 2003, 71, 161–8.
- Norstrom, T. Alcohol and suicide: a comparative analysis of France and Sweden. Addiction, 1995, 90, 1463–9.
- Razvodovsky, Y. Alcohol and suicide in Belarus. European Psychiatry, 2009, 24 (Supplement 1), S.189.
- Sher, L. Alcohol use and suicide rates. Medical Hypotheses, 2005.
- Sher L, Zalsman G. Alcohol and adolescent suicide. Int J Adolesc Med Health 2005; 17:197–203.
- Skog, O.J., et al. Alcohol and suicide—The Portuguese experience. Addiction, 1995, 90, 1053–61.
filed under: Health