The alcohol content of standard drinks of beer, dinner wine or distilled spirits (either straight or in a mixed drink) are equivalent --- about six-tenths of an ounce each. They're all the same to a Breathalyzer. So it's not which you choose to drink but how much you drink that's important. Curious?
How much do you know about George? Test your knowledge. Bet you didn't learn any of this in school.
Timeline: Alcohol and Drinking History in America
Visit this new timeline to follow the history of alcohol and drinking in the United States of America.
Timeline: World History of Alcohol and Drinking
This timeline presents events in the history of alcohol and drinking over the past 12,000 years.
Dr. Emanuel Rubin argues that physicians should recommend that current abstainers add alcohol to their diets because of its beneficial effects on all cause mortality. [+]
A survey reveals that alcohol consumption during the previous month among 12 to 17 year olds dropped one-third (34%) between 2003 and 2013. [+]
Those women who decreased their consumption by one-half drink or more per week increased their risk of cognitive impairment or dementia by over one-third (34.5%). [+]
Some writers suggest that people over the age of 65 should reduce their alcohol consumption “to protect their bodies and minds.” However, Dr. Erik Skovenborg points out that... [+]
Research examined eight prospective studies published between 1946 and 2013, containing a total of 195,029 men and women and 1,878 cases of RA. [+]
To examine the possible effects of low to moderate alcohol consumption during pregnancy, 4,496 women were followed throughout their pregnancies and following the birth of their children. [+]
To investigate the relationship between the quantity and the frequency of consuming alcoholic beverages and the risk of developing CKD, researchers studied 9,112 Japanese men age 40 to 55. [+]
A CNN nationally representative poll of American adults in 2014 found that 18% believed that the consumption of alcohol should be illegal. [+]
- The alcohol contents of a regular beer, glass of dinner wine and shot of whiskey or other distilled spirit (80 proof) are all the same. This is alcohol equivalence.
- The U.S. government reports that moderate consumption of alcohol (beer, wine or distilled spirits) improves health and increases longevity.
- Parents have great influence over the choices their children make about alcohol now and in the future.
- Drinking alcohol by students in U.S. middle and high schools has declined to its lowest level in the 36 years that the federal government has surveyed the subject.
- Distilled spirits (whiskey, brandy, rum, tequila, gin, etc.) contain no carbohydrates, no fats of any kind, and no cholesterol. Get the nutrition facts.