Moderate drinking of beer, wine or distilled spirits (liquor) reduces heart disease by 20 to 49%. In addition, moderate drinkers are healthier and live longer than either abstainers or alcohol abusers. Curious?
How much do you know about George? Test your knowledge. Bet you didn't learn any of this in school.
Timeline: Alcohol and Drinking History in America
Visit this new timeline to follow the history of alcohol and drinking in the United States of America.
Timeline: World History of Alcohol and Drinking
This timeline presents events in the history of alcohol and drinking over the past 12,000 years.
Alcohol pre-loading (preloading, pre-drinking, predrinking, pre-gaming, pregaming, prefunking, home drinking, and prinking), the practice of drinking at home before going out for the night, appears to be an undesirable high-risk behavior.
No “masking effect” from the addition of either caffeine or energy drink on the subjective sensations of alcohol intoxication were found in a randomized, double-blinded, controlled, four treatment cross-over trial.
The founding of the American Society for the Promotion of Temperance in 1826 was the beginning of the first organized national temperance movement in the United States.
Alcoholism isn’t a disease but a cluster of behaviors over which people can learn to have control. Both free and affordable programs are available to help drink in moderation or to abstain.
Control over alcohol and alcoholism is increased by the use of the Life Process Program, the HAMS alcohol program, SMART Recovery, Rational Recovery, or Moderation Management, any of which can be used at home without the travel, lack of privacy, life interruption, or great expense of attending an alcohol rehab or retreat.
HAMS (Harm reduction, Abstinence, and Moderation Support) is a free, peer-led support and information network for anyone who decides to change their drinking for the better.
The alcohol and drug treatment industry is enormous and highly profitable, but very competitive. To lure patients or clients, many rehabs and retreats use misrepresentation and deception. There’s little regulation, deception is common, and it’s a case of caveat emptor, or buyer beware.
Alcoholism is not a disease but a behavioral pattern that can be changed with effective non-12-step programs such as HAMS, the Life Process Program, Rational Recovery, SMART Recovery, and Moderation Management.
- The alcohol contents of a regular beer, glass of dinner wine and shot of whiskey or other distilled spirit (80 proof) are all the same. This is alcohol equivalence.
- The U.S. government reports that moderate consumption of alcohol (beer, wine or distilled spirits) improves health and increases longevity.
- Parents have great influence over the choices their children make about alcohol now and in the future.
- Drinking alcohol by students in U.S. middle and high schools has declined to its lowest level in the 36 years that the federal government has surveyed the subject.
- Distilled spirits (whiskey, brandy, rum, tequila, gin, etc.) contain no carbohydrates, no fats of any kind, and no cholesterol. Get the nutrition facts.